Thursday, February 19, 2009

Children's Safety


So David and I have decided to get the girls these "Child Safety Restraints" so that way they have a little bit of freedom, but at the same time, they are close to you. Since we have two of them it is harder to keep them by you at all times. This has seemed to work out pretty good, they have learned quickly that it is either the stroller, or the backpack.; and I have gotten some positive feedback from mother's when I drop Josh off at pre-school. Well, yesterday Hailey had a book swap at school, you bring however many in, you get that many in return. Anyway, I only took Audrey with me because she was the only one awake. We can walk to Hailey's school from where we live, so I put Audrey in her little backpack and off we went. Lo and behold there was this atrocious WOMAN (that is the nicest thing I can say right now) walking her dog. She says, and I quote "Look, we are both walking our animals". I stopped short and looked at her and said "Excuse me?" And she proceeded to say " Well that is how you are treating her, those are called leashes you know!" My mouth dropped. I didn't know whether to slap her, or cry. I then said "Obviously you do not know what it is like to have children of your own, and I always want to know where mine are at all times, this way my TWINS are next to me, and safe from people like you!" and I hurriedly went off before I said something ruder like a cuss word or something. Anyway, I can't get it off my mind. It really bothered me, so I am asking for your opinion on these contraptions. Isn't the whole point of these things is so your children don't run out in the street if you are pre-occupied? After all, I ONLY HAVE TWO HANDS PEOPLE!!! Sorry, I am getting defensive... but what some people don't realize is when you attack a woman about her parenting skills; you are asking for it.

I personally think this is a SAFE option for parents who have more than one little one that is curious. I have learned from my Josh so to speak, we had too many close calls with him, that I like to be extra cautious with my twins.


O.K. my venting is done, thank you for reading ladies...I hope I didn't offend anyone.

8 comments:

MikesDork said...

You want my honest opinion? I do not like those things.... I never used them for my kids, but I also never had twins. Sometimes I wish I had one now for Jace, my little munchkin who has decided that he likes to run away from me in parking lots. But I would never say anything like that to someone who had one on their child.

Laurie said...

Don't feel bad, I used one on Londynn. We still do if we go to crazy places. I would rather know that my child is an arm length away. Then be the parent with the wondering child who gets lost.

I don't think that anyone has the right to judge someone without understanding their circumstances. I think that I would have had a moment with that person too. :)

Did you ever get an email from me about the vinyl?

* said...

I love these, and they are cute. It's not like the old fashion ones that looked like leashes. I used them with Brigham and with Emma. At this age they want to be more independant and I think these alow them to be without us having to worry so much. They are safe and still able to explore. That lady deserved what you said to here. I don't know if I would have been able to contain myself from saying more. Good for you on speaking up. Maybe next time she will think before she speaks. Keep using the cute backpacks.

Natalie said...

I have one for Asia but have never used it.
I can't imagine not having one though when you have 4 kids, 2 being twins. Too many people judge others without knowing their circumstances.

Matthew and Rosalia said...

Honestly, I think they are the best thing. You just never know, especially when having TWO at a time. I can't imagine how hard that must be. So I would just forget about that lady's comments and just do your thing. She's obviously not the one that is going to freak out when her child gets lost, so I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not like the collar is around their neck for goodness sake, It's a cute, comfortable, little backpack

I will definitely use one if I ever have a restless, curious, little child.

Amy O. said...

I've used them with my boys. And it seems the only people who make negative comments about them are those without kids. It's not like they're tethered around a kids neck! They're cute animal backpacks. You're my hero for standing up for yourself though. I never seem to be able to say what I want to in those situations.

The Dotter Family said...

Oh Brandi. I know exactly what you are talking about! I use them with my twins as well and had many old nasty women give me looks and or comments. They have NO IDEA what it is like to have more kids than hands. Just ignore them, as hard as that is sometimes.

I still use them with my twins when we go to Disneyland. My kids, like yours know that it is either the stroller or the backpack. I love you and know exactly what you are going through. So here is my mother's stamp of approval:) I just hate nasty women that have no idea and that's why they make those comments. Keep you head up you are a wonderful Mom and doing great.

Kayser Family said...

Safety is most important, kids need to be able to walk on their own too,and if you are anywhere but an empty beach or field this is dangerous. Kids don't like holding hands for very long, especially when they are small, their hand has to be up, that gets tiring. You are lucky they have cute reins these days, I sometimes used the older type. I remember Charlie crying and trying to get it off, he drew lots of negative attention, so he had to be put in the stroller and strapped down. It's not cruel to put a dog on a leash, it's definately not cruel for a toddler. Just say okay I will let them off, and run into traffic . People will always complain- we have to keep our little ones safe in a very dangerous world- so how on earth can a safety device be cruel- kids would rather be free on sit on your lap in cars too, but we use car seats, which are very restrictive, but completely socially accepted. When you know you are doing something good, ignore the ignorant people.