Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dedication to my Dad

While everyone was having a great and wonderful Easter, ours unfortunately was cut short by the passing of my father. It was a whirlwind of emotion to say the least. David had to put out an emergency American Red Cross alert so that he could get emergency leave. When we got the green light for that, we had to call and make flight arrangements. Although I really needed him there with me, it ended up being only Hailey and I going to Florida. We left last Monday the 5th, and got back last night. There was a lot to do. My brother and Mom flew in on Wednesday, I got there Tuesday morning @5:30a.m., but with the time difference and the flying from one side of the states to the other, Hailey and I were up for over 31 hours before our day ended. We planned my dad's cremation (his wishes), cleaned out my dad's apartment, made a lot of donations to Hospice, had a memorial service at the Eagles Club, and had to say our tear felt good bye's to my dad. It has really been hard for me. I found out some great and wonderful things about him from his friends, and "second family" there in Inverness, FL. I can understand why it was so hard for him to leave there. I just never got to say my "good-bye" to him, I had nothing TO say good-bye too. They told me at the funeral home that I wouldn't want to see him in the state he was in (He had a heart-attack and was DOA at the hospital; they kept him in a "holding room" until further instruction, and then driven to the funeral home..so no embalming took place) they said he was inti~bated at the hospital and his face was ajar, plus his teeth were taken out.

I have never had to plan a funeral before, I actually had no idea it took that much time and energy to do. Going through my dad's stuff was very heart-breaking. I am just now able to sit and ponder over my dad and how much I am going to miss him.
Here are pictures of the Honor guard doing a salute and taps for my dad..he was in the army for 12 years (the picture up top is him when he was 18); he got shot in the knee during the Vietnam War...
This was all of us~ Cap and Bam (Jessica's parents) Jessica, me, Hailey Bret and my mom
This was just some of the floral arrangements they had there...


Here is the flag flown at half mass for my dad...

here he is at Bret's wedding, the last time we saw him....His memorial service is not something we are used to as members of the church, but I know it was how my dad would of wanted it, and I guess that is all that matters, I just wish I had more time with him...

8 comments:

MikesDork said...

Brandi... remember the good times... your dad is in a better place, probably relearning the things he already knew and anxiously awaiting to be reunited.

Glad you got home safely! I miss you!

* said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, I hope you were able to take away a lot of memories to share with your kids. He is in such a better place. May the Lord be with you at this time. Take care. Miss you girly!!

jen said...

oh brandi, i'm so sorry to hear...i remember you talking about him a lot and remember your love for him. this must be so hard. i will keep you in my prayers. luckily you know that you will be able to see him again...but that doesn't make it easier. love you...jen

Angie said...

Brandi, my heart goes out to you and your family. April 3rd was the anniversary of my Dad's passing, so I had been thinking a lot about him and how much I still miss him. Then the very next day, your dad passed away. I am so sorry. I hope that you're doing OK. Love you.

The Rickards said...

Brandi my heart goes out to you and your family. Its not easy losing a loved one especially a parent. I know. Always remember hes even closer to you now than he was in Florida. He's watching you from above.

Love you

Natalie said...

Brandi, my heart is breaking for you, and I'm so sorry you had to go through this, especially on Easter. There were a lot of talks on losing loved ones during general conference, so I hope they bring comfort to you. I know you are strong and full of faith, and you will get through this trial as well and become a better person. Love you!

Gary and Debi said...

Your blog post about your dad was a wonderful tribute to him. I hope your faith in the gospel is giving you peace right now. We miss you!

Rene Potter said...

Brandi my friend you are very strong. I have never been through anything like this and you seem to be handling it with strength and class. I am so sorry you are going through something so sudden and unexpected. I remember one time in Poway going with you to get your tires changed and your dad picked us up. I always thought he was cool. Love you, wish you lived closer and that we could talk more.