Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spoke too soon

Of course because I boasted that everything was fine and dandy, something was going to happen, right? I cut, errr rather SLICED my right ring finger down to the muscle. I can't even blame it on not knowing, rather just pure ignorance on my part...here is how those painful 22 minutes went in a two minute summary:

I was getting all ready to start dinner early, I even decided to make a NEW side dish that I invented that sounded good, so I get everything out hastily because I know I only have about 20 minutes before the three younger ones wake up from their nap, so I bust out my Pampered Chef slicer/dicer/thing-a-majiggy and start slicing the potatoes. Needless to say I didn't have the guard on the potatoes, and was wondering how I could cut them down without cutting my fingers and then SLICE! I didn't even realize I did it until I saw the blood in the pan, so I went to go run it under water, and if any of you have ever ripped a fingernail off you know that it is excruciating pain! Needless to say I wrapped my finger in a towel and held it over my head thinking what an idiot I am, and let's say about 10-12 minutes later when it didn't stop bleeding, I called my neighbor (did I mention David was at work? Figures right?) She said she needed to look at it, I didn't even know if I could get stitches because I sliced the skin straight off, so there was nothing to stitch together. Well she came, and we ended up asking the neighbor guy, (he is always home) and he brought over hydrogen peroxide and gauze and tape and said "Yup, you certainly cut the meat straight off your finger, it will take awhile to heal, but your finger will eventually look normal again." I thought again? How bad does it look? So I took a gander at it, and what I saw was not a pretty sight! It looked o.k. until you looked at it straight on and the roundness of my finger was COMPLETELY gone! It was cut at a diagonal down past my fingernail, and took some of nail with it.
So after about another 10 minutes and three gauze patches later it finally stopped. When David got home he asked me what the heck did I do, I told him he said "Why didn't you use the guard?" That is the only way I knew it even came with one! How lame am I? I obviously wasn't paying attention and in a hurry, so here is my ignorance turning into a deformed finger! Yeah me!

On a much better note, my son age 4 years and almost 5 months finally pooped in the potty! He has been able to wee-wee in it for quite some time and refused to poop due to Nemo going down the tunnel.

We bribed, and I mean Bribed my son to try and he wouldn't. We tried telling him he would get a toy, no deal. My husband took him into the bathroom with him and showed him he didn't go anywhere, no dice. He was so smart that he would go in his underwear and then he would touch the poop, put the poop in the potty, change his underwear, and then tell us he went in the potty! We caught him doing this once, so then he knew he couldn't get away with it anymore. We held him on the potty and made him sit there for up to 35 minutes and the second he got off he hid and went. We told him no more chocolate milk until he pooped in the potty. We told him he didn't have to take a nap if he went in the potty Nope, nada, nothing. Man is he stubborn! ( I can't imagine where he got that from!) Then today, he had to go and we knew it
David took Hailey and Josh on a hike, and Josh was holding his bum saying it hurt, they went on another errand and Josh still said he had to go but was scared...then the unthinkable happened..he went! And it was the biggest, longest, hardest poop ever! (David of course took a picture with his phone!) My poor, BIG BOY, took a poop for the first time and it hurt him! I felt so bad for him, well then he came home and went again, and again, and again! We are sooooo proud of him, and hopefully this means a trip to the toy store, if he continues this for a couple more days!


Anyway these incidences were in a matter of two days, so hopefully the rest of this weekend will be a bit more pleasant watching conference. Hope everyone is doing well, and we as always miss you guys.

7 comments:

Matthew and Rosalia said...

OUCH!!!

I've been so close to doing that, luckily my knives aren't as sharp as yours was. I hope your finger heals soon.

To answer your question, yes, we are moving back to California. Matthew's graduation is June 5th and we will be back for sure by the end of July. I can't wait, we can finally start our real lives.

Laurie said...

I can feel your pain!

A few years back I was using the same PC tool, without the guard of course. When the palm of my hand got closer than I thought. Like you I did not even feel anything until I saw the blood. I lost a huge chunk of skin at the base of my thumb. I still have the scare to show for it.

Now every time I use that tool, it scares me. I end up throwing things away just so I don't have to get close to the blades. It was a very painful recovery for days to follow. Every time it got wet it would burn like crazy.

MikesDork said...

Hmm... It sounds much worse to read the incident, than when you were tellng me. I have done that too, but not that bad!

Yeah for Josh and pooping on the potty... Jace finally has it figured out too!

Natalie said...

Eeek! I cringed while reading your incident. I sliced the top of my thumb with a peeler while I was peeling potatoes. I dreaded potatoes for months afterwards. I hope your finger heals well!
And yay for Josh! I can't believe David took a picture! LOL!

jen said...

Oh Brandi, I'm so sorry to hear about your misfortune. That must be so painful!! I hope it heals soon...that must be so hard to have an out of commission finger.

Your potty story made me laugh. It is sad though too! Hopefully he continues!

Angie said...

We've tried all those things with Maeby too, and she still refuses to go on the toilet. I blame the Sobek genes. :)

Sorry about your finger! It is painful to read!!!

Christina said...

Ouch by the way, you poor thing! I hope it's healing well.

YAY for Josh, we have hope! lol. Alex has done it a couple of times too now... few and far between but hey. :) Our boys need to DO THIS already! Ack!